Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

"l not -l" <lallin@cujo.com>: Jan 31 06:26PM

On 31-Jan-2018, wrote:
 
> milk
> trick Dave mentioned. I've used buttermilk powder in the past
> when baking.
Interesting to me is the number of people on RFC who have
experienced "real" buttermilk. With the exception of a couple of
folks, I believe most hear are around my age or younger. I have
never seen "real" buttermilk, only cultured. My memories go back
at least until the very early 1950s, I lived in a rural
community, with one set of grandparents farmers, the other ran a
general store that catered to farmers in a really rural area.
Buttermilk always meant the thick cultured buttermilk, as today.
 
 
The general store sold quite a few quarts of buttermilk each
week. I was somewhat more aware than other children might have
been as I rode along with my father regularly as he gathered the
"goods" to delivery to my grandparents for sale in their store.
One of my favorite stops was "the creamery" for Kentucky Maid
dairy products.
 
Both of my "store" grandparents drank buttermilk and a favorite
treat for them was to crumble leftover cornbread in a cup or bowl
and pour buttermilk over it and eat it with a spoon. Anytime a
family member had a sore throat, (cultured) buttermilk was the
"medicine" offered.
 
If my farmer grandparents had been dairy farmers, I still might
not have been exposed to "real" buttermilk. I don't recall any
dairy farmers processing their own milk in the early 50s, they
were selling the whole milk to local dairies and the only dairy
in our area sold cultured buttermilk.
 
I don't supposed I missed much; cultured buttermilk does a great
job for all the things I want buttermilk to do. Plus, it is
nutritionally very good for me.
 
--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jan 31 11:49AM -0500

jmcquown wrote:
 
> I don't understand why Gary is questioning it, either. The driveway is
> next to the garage which is next to the kitchen. I can't see traipsing
> through the house carrying food to get a grill on the back patio.
 
The funny thing to me is that you keep going on and on about it.
You jump right on every post where someone agrees with you. I
struck a nerve didn't I, Jill? ;-D Bottom line, I'll bet your
grill in the garage probably has about 5 years worth of dust on
it. You would rather pan-steam a good steak in your kitchen.
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jan 31 11:49AM -0500

Ophelia wrote:
> start drinking it. lol
 
> ==
 
> The law here is that we are not allowed to buy alcohol until 10am
 
In Virginia, law says no buying alcohol between midnight and 6am.
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 05:16PM

"Gary" wrote in message news:5A71F39A.CE552A36@att.net...
 
Ophelia wrote:
> start drinking it. lol
 
> ==
 
> The law here is that we are not allowed to buy alcohol until 10am
 
In Virginia, law says no buying alcohol between midnight and 6am.
 
==
 
Here in Scotland, in the supermarket we can't buy alcohol between 10pm and
10 am.
 
I don't know about pubs, restaurants etc.
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 10:26AM -0800

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:50:21 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
 
> > ==
 
> > The law here is that we are not allowed to buy alcohol until 10am
 
> In Virginia, law says no buying alcohol between midnight and 6am.
 
In Michigan, we can't buy alcohol between 2 am and 7 am.
 
Here's a summary for all of the states:
 
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States>
 
Cindy Hamilton
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 11:50AM -0500

On 1/29/2018 10:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
 
> They sell it to people that want to make pancakes.
 
> Good for soaking chicken parts in for fried chicken.  Some people drink
> it but I never could.
 
My father loved buttermilk as a beverage. I never could stand to drink
it. Yes, it makes a nice addition to chicken or fish batter. It's also
a good addition to cornbread. :)
 
I don't usually have buttermilk on hand so I do the vinegar in milk
trick Dave mentioned. I've used buttermilk powder in the past when baking.
 
Jill
penmart01@aol.com: Jan 31 12:25PM -0500

On Thu, 01 Feb 2018 03:23:18 +1100, Broce <Broce@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
 
>>LOL
 
>Because I live in Australia I can check Dutch buttermilk? What kind of
>logic is that?
 
Bruce/Broce, which is it?
Broce <Broce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 04:34AM +1100


>>Because I live in Australia I can check Dutch buttermilk? What kind of
>>logic is that?
 
>Bruce/Broce, which is it?
 
Bruce.
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 01:06PM -0500


>> Because I live in Australia I can check Dutch buttermilk? What kind of
>> logic is that?
 
> Bruce/Broce, which is it?
 
A nymshifting troll.
 
Jill
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 01:08PM -0500

On 1/31/2018 8:51 AM, Janet wrote:
 
> Oh, someone else has seen through Bruce's pretendy life in Australia
> LOL
 
> Janet UK
 
And what the heck is Dutch buttermilk?! Buttermilk is buttermilk.
 
Jill
Bryce <Bryce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 05:22AM +1100

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:06:30 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:
 
>>> logic is that?
 
>> Bruce/Broce, which is it?
 
>A nymshifting troll.
 
Be nice to people, McBiddie.
Bryce <Bryce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 05:24AM +1100

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 13:08:23 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:
 
>> LOL
 
>> Janet UK
 
>And what the heck is Dutch buttermilk?! Buttermilk is buttermilk.
 
In North America, there are 2 types of buttermilk: traditional (farms)
and modern/cultured (supermarkets). As it turns out, this is the same
in the Netherlands. Thank you.
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 10:21AM -0800


> You can see some of the HP books here; I can't seem to find a complete list. (Those that are not ethnic do not have the word "cooking" in the title - such as those about crepes, sandwiches, cocktails or brunches.)
 
> https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=815&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dOxxWpHTFOrIjwTmi53YDQ&q=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&oq=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&gs_l=psy-ab.3...119589.119866.0.120118.3.3.0.0.0.0.90.262.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.B5106tT6GwM
 
> Lenona.
 
OTOH, there's a strong tradition in cookbooks of Indian food to specify
powdered hot capsicums using various spellings of chile, chilly, chili,
etc.
 
If it's an Indian recipe, it almost certainly wants plain, powdered
hot peppers, not the powder that's used for chile con carne.
 
Cindy Hamilton
lenona321@yahoo.com: Jan 31 08:38AM -0800

Check out the 11 Southern cooking tips in the slideshow, too.
 
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=815&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dOxxWpHTFOrIjwTmi53YDQ&q=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&oq=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&gs_l=psy-ab.3...119589.119866.0.120118.3.3.0.0.0.0.90.262.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.B5106tT6GwM
ImStillMags <sitara8060@gmail.com>: Jan 31 10:20AM -0800

> Check out the 11 Southern cooking tips in the slideshow, too.
 
> https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=815&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dOxxWpHTFOrIjwTmi53YDQ&q=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&oq=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&gs_l=psy-ab.3...119589.119866.0.120118.3.3.0.0.0.0.90.262.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.B5106tT6GwM
 
bad link. goes to a google page.
try again.
 
and. the reason biscuits in the South are better is White Lilly flour
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jan 31 12:07PM -0500

Terry Coombs wrote:
> from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
> might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
> Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .
 
Up front I'll say, "just teasing." (and I really am)
IMO, drinking any wine with any meal will make it a good meal,
depending on how much you drink (to cleanse the pallette. ehh)
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 05:16PM

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
news:c81966a6-6067-43a6-a668-1c21a021c684@googlegroups.com...
 
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 8:34:49 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
 
Pork chops marinated in soy, garlic, ginger, sesame oil,
black rice vinegar, chili paste. Grilled.
Salad dressed with lime juice, Japanese rice vinegar, neutral oil.
Rice.
Perhaps broccoli (microwaved until tender-crisp).
 
Cindy Hamilton
==
 
Sounds good:)
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 05:24PM

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:p4smev$31h$1@dont-email.me...
 
On 1/31/2018 7:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> You??
 
> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
 
I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .
 
Snag
 
==
 
Good stuff:))
 
Chin chin:))
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 05:24PM

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:lXkcC.17607$FY2.2621@fx14.iad...
 
On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon. Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
 
New meal from leftovers.
 
Pork roast and pappardelle with tomato sauce
 
Had a pork roast so that is good for a few meals. Last week we made
ravioli and with the leftover dough I'll roll it out for pappardelle and
use the rest of the sauce.
 
==
 
I made ravioli a couple of weeks ago:) I've never made pappardelle. I
think
I might just do that, thanks. What kind of sauce will you make? Meat?
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 05:24PM

"l not -l" wrote in message news:SSlcC.35$qc.19@fx04.iad...
 
 
> added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
Sunday, I made chuck roast, one-bite rainbow potatoes (a mix of
white, red and purple), carrots and onions. Today's dinner will
be leftovers from that meal. Nothing green; the braised collards
are all gone. Mandarin oranges for dessert.
 
==
 
Oh no, you broke the pork run <g> Actually your chuck roast and veg sounds
great:))
 
I love to see what others make. It gives me ideas for dinners to make:)
 
 
 
 
--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 01:15PM -0500

On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon.  Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
 
Dinner will be rotini pasta tossed with lump crab meat and alfredo
sauce, then baked for a few minutes with buttered breadcrumbs and
freshly grated paremesan cheese on top. Oh my, there will cheese with
seafood! Microwaved broccoli florets on the side. :)
 
Jill
dsi1 <dsi100@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 08:56AM -0800

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 5:38:27 AM UTC-10, CaĆ­da de la casa wrote:
 
> I think it's all under the warming lights now:
 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_3nockeqlk
 
That's just creepy and sad.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zt_FLNRrY
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jan 31 12:03PM -0500

dsi1 wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_3nockeqlk
 
> That's just creepy and sad.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zt_FLNRrY
 
What a worthless two posts. I thought usenet was about texting
and conversation. The two responses above don't say anything
except to demand a youtube watch. Sad, imo.
 
It's happening way too often too even in other newsgroups.
Just a link to something without a basic description of what they
want you to see.
tert in seattle <tert@ftupet.com>: Jan 31 06:01PM


>It's happening way too often too even in other newsgroups.
>Just a link to something without a basic description of what they
>want you to see.
 
Usenet has really gone down hill
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 12:46PM -0500

On 1/28/2018 10:13 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> rice. I'd put a whole pepper or a whole talale in there too. Well
>> anyway, that's what I'm planning on doing.
 
> How would you stuff it in there?
 
This is ridiculous. I guess he's suggesting add cooked rice as a filler
to meatloaf. I've got no idea what other stuff dsi1 is talking about.
 
You're the loves rice and beans gal, you should be able to figure out
what to do with brown rice.
 
Jill
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment