Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 9 topics

lenona321@yahoo.com: Jan 31 08:27AM -0800

Yes, there's a difference, somewhat to my disappointment, since I just got "The Book of Curries and Indian Foods," pub. HP Trade (the thin books all measure 5.4" x 11" and have simple, charming photography). The few recipes I was thinking of using call for chile powder.
 
From today's New York Times, page D6 (scroll halfway down):
 
https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/48-how-to-make-chili
 
Quote:
 
"Confusingly, chile powder and chili powder are two different things. (More confusingly, The Times has conflated them for years.) Chile powder is just dried, pulverized chiles. Chili powder, on the other hand, is a mixture of dried, ground chiles with other spices, and it helps bring a distinctive flavor to the dish that bears its name."
 
You can see some of the HP books here; I can't seem to find a complete list. (Those that are not ethnic do not have the word "cooking" in the title - such as those about crepes, sandwiches, cocktails or brunches.)
 
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1266&bih=815&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=dOxxWpHTFOrIjwTmi53YDQ&q=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&oq=%22hp+trade%22+%22The+book+of%22+cook&gs_l=psy-ab.3...119589.119866.0.120118.3.3.0.0.0.0.90.262.3.3.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.B5106tT6GwM
 
 
Lenona.
Thomas <canopeily@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 06:31AM -0800

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 6:19:15 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > I've seen buttermilk cole slaw recipes before. But the idea that buttermilk
> is required for cole slaw is risible.
 
> Cindy Hamilton
 
I should have said "for me".
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Jan 31 09:45AM -0500

On 2018-01-30 11:25 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> repulsed to watch my brothers drink milk.
 
> when I was growing up we had real buttermilk. It had little specks of
> butter in it and was thick and creamy. It tasted different too.
 
 
I remember the stuff being thin. The (cultured) buttermilk we get here
is really thick. I often have to thin it down to get the right texture
for batters.
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 07:38AM -0800

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 9:31:50 AM UTC-5, Thomas wrote:
> > is required for cole slaw is risible.
 
> > Cindy Hamilton
 
> I should have said "for me".
 
Duly noted. I haven't yet tried buttermilk for cole slaw (and I have
no interest in KFC knockoffs), but that's probably because I don't
often have it on hand. I do like it a lot for ranch dressing; I
use the Joy of Cooking recipe (more or less), but without the mayo
because I prefer a thinner dressing. Better coverage with less
dressing, and the taste of the vegetables comes through more
clearly. Perhaps I would find the same to be the case with cole
slaw.
 
Cindy Hamilton
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 08:40AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 6:40 AM, Janet wrote:
 
> Janet UK
 
Bugger off, vinegar tits!
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 08:41AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 6:51 AM, Janet wrote:
 
> Any cook who bothered to read the thread knows the answer.
 
> You're just trolling like ds1, another idiot trying to disrupt food
> -related discussions.
 
Wait, you eschew political whinging for FOOD now?
 
Who knew...
 
 
 
> Oh, someone else has seen through Bruce's pretendy life in Australia
> LOL
 
> Janet UK
 
MEOWWWRRR!!!
Broce <Broce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 03:22AM +1100


>> That's something that I totally made up
 
> Like so many of your trashy posts, and Bruce's.
 
> Two in a long line of trolls cultivated and encouraged by Ophelia.
 
I have no idea what this is about or what I have to do with it. I
guess Janet's just trolling.
Broce <Broce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 03:23AM +1100


>> You live there so you can check.
 
> Oh, someone else has seen through Bruce's pretendy life in Australia
>LOL
 
Because I live in Australia I can check Dutch buttermilk? What kind of
logic is that?
dsi1 <dsi100@yahoo.com>: Jan 31 08:24AM -0800

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 1:20:26 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
 
> Since nobody here works in commercial butter manufacture, why don't you
> just ask Google?
 
> Cindy Hamilton
 
Oddly enough, there are some things that you can't find by Googling. What I did find out is that real buttermilk is trending. The trendy stuff is European style made with cultured cream, not fresh cream so it's thicker than American style buttermilk. The dirty little secret is that you can't get it in stores. That's the breaks.
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 09:24AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 9:22 AM, Broce wrote:
 
>> Two in a long line of trolls cultivated and encouraged by Ophelia.
 
> I have no idea what this is about or what I have to do with it. I
> guess Janet's just trolling.
 
RFC = Troll Cemntral.
 
 
Bwuthie/pot/kettle/troll.
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 08:42AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 7:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> commonly accepted for house cats to be allowed to roam around outside.
> There are likely fewer natural predators there than in North America.
 
> Jill
 
 
Those damned predatory songbirds, that'll teach 'em!
Broce <Broce@invalid.invalid>: Feb 01 03:24AM +1100

On Wed, 31 Jan 2018 09:08:28 -0500, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:
 
 
>Of course there are feral cats in the UK. All I meant is it is more
>commonly accepted for house cats to be allowed to roam around outside.
>There are likely fewer natural predators there than in North America.
 
If it's more common in the US not to let your cat go outside, then
good on you.
Nancy2 <ellorysgirl@gmail.com>: Jan 31 07:34AM -0800

If you eat a lot of eggs, a 7- or 8-egg electric cooker is my very favorite small
appliance. It will make soft- or hard-boiled or poached eggs without any
errors, and the eggs can be laid today and still peel with ease, if they are
hard-cooked. Try it.
 
N.
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 09:23AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> errors, and the eggs can be laid today and still peel with ease, if they are
> hard-cooked. Try it.
 
> N.
 
Alternately - sous vide!
"l not -l" <lallin@cujo.com>: Jan 31 04:09PM

> added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
Sunday, I made chuck roast, one-bite rainbow potatoes (a mix of
white, red and purple), carrots and onions. Today's dinner will
be leftovers from that meal. Nothing green; the braised collards
are all gone. Mandarin oranges for dessert.
 
--
Change cujo to juno to make a valid email address.
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 10:53AM -0500

On 1/29/2018 10:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> chicken, I would always blacken the hell out of them. Just one
> last generous brush of bbq sauce would turn them right ant so
> delicious.
 
I'm sorry but that looks like burnt chicken to me.
 
Jill
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 10:58AM -0500

On 1/31/2018 10:53 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> delicious.
 
> I'm sorry but that looks like burnt chicken to me.
 
> Jill
 
https://tinyurl.com/y9ude777
 
Indeed.
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jan 31 09:34AM -0500

Janet wrote:
 
> The way UK supermarket till are laid out, it's impossible NOT to see
> what the person in front loads onto the belt; there's nothing else to do
> while you wait.
 
IMO, it's not being nosy. Like you say, just nothing else to look
at.
 
I go to the store often so sometimes just to pick up a few
things. Don't judge what I am buying. I've got plenty more items
at home. I *always* shop very early morning too. You wouldn't
believe the comments I get if I add some beer to the cart.
People see beer at 6:30am and assume I'll run right home and
start drinking it. lol
"Ophelia" <OphiElsinore@gmail.com>: Jan 31 03:01PM

"Gary" wrote in message news:5A71D413.C94F8468@att.net...
 
Janet wrote:
 
> The way UK supermarket till are laid out, it's impossible NOT to see
> what the person in front loads onto the belt; there's nothing else to do
> while you wait.
 
IMO, it's not being nosy. Like you say, just nothing else to look
at.
 
I go to the store often so sometimes just to pick up a few
things. Don't judge what I am buying. I've got plenty more items
at home. I *always* shop very early morning too. You wouldn't
believe the comments I get if I add some beer to the cart.
People see beer at 6:30am and assume I'll run right home and
start drinking it. lol
 
==
 
The law here is that we are not allowed to buy alcohol until 10am
Nancy2 <ellorysgirl@gmail.com>: Jan 31 07:23AM -0800

I have seen quite a few people here in mid-country grilling in front of their house, as in the
driveway. Nothing odd about it. They may not have a concrete patio, so it is safer than on a
wooden deck. I don't see why it even draws a question.
 
N.
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 10:26AM -0500

On 1/31/2018 9:34 AM, Gary wrote:
> believe the comments I get if I add some beer to the cart.
> People see beer at 6:30am and assume I'll run right home and
> start drinking it. lol
 
I guess you don't live in one of those states where they can't sell beer
before Noon. :)
 
Jill
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Jan 31 10:43AM -0500

On 1/31/2018 10:23 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> driveway. Nothing odd about it. They may not have a concrete patio, so it is safer than on a
> wooden deck. I don't see why it even draws a question.
 
> N.
 
I don't understand why Gary is questioning it, either. The driveway is
next to the garage which is next to the kitchen. I can't see traipsing
through the house carrying food to get a grill on the back patio.
 
Grilling on a wooden deck is ill advised. Grilling in a small fenced
area is also ill advised.
 
I once lived in a second storey apartment with a wooden balcony. I
would sit outside and read when I came home from work. The man who
lived below me had a small fenced patio and a grill. The man's children
decided to surprise their (weekend) father, who was not home, by
grilling a chicken. They lit the grill, put a chicken on it, then went
inside and completely ignored it.
 
They didn't realize it flared up and was shooting flames under my wooden
balcony. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran down and killed the
flaming chicken. They could have set the entire building on fire. Sheesh.
 
Jill
"Caída de la casa" <house@cra.sh>: Jan 31 08:38AM -0700

On 1/31/2018 12:00 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> other parts of Thailand.[25]
 
> Occasionally, he'll just drop in to see what condition his chicken is in.
 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCNORo_tmKs
 
I think it's all under the warming lights now:
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_3nockeqlk
Ed Pawlowski <esp@snet.net>: Jan 31 10:05AM -0500

On 1/31/2018 8:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Brussels sprouts cooked with shallots and bacon.  Oh yes I added a few
> chopped mushrooms too.
 
> You??
 
New meal from leftovers.
 
Pork roast and pappardelle with tomato sauce
 
Had a pork roast so that is good for a few meals. Last week we made
ravioli and with the leftover dough I'll roll it out for pappardelle and
use the rest of the sauce.
Terry Coombs <snag_one@msn.com>: Jan 31 09:13AM -0600

On 1/31/2018 7:34 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> You??
 
> --
> http//www.helpforheroes.org.uk
 
I'm thinking pork loin steaks Parmesan(using some of my spaghetti sauce
from the freezer)with pasta, garlic bread , and a nice green salad . I
might open that bottle of Stone Hill Golden Spumante , or may have the
Curling Vine Perfect Red . Either would go well with this meal .
 
--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment