Sunday, June 23, 2019

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 10 topics

penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 11:27AM -0400

On 22 Jun 2019 itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>> maybe it's different if you cook meat.
 
>Some things really seem to linger in the house after the meal is long gone.
>Cooking it outside eliminates that problem.
 
That's the truth. Cooking some foods permeate everything in the house
including the walls... cooking fish is the worst... my wife couldn't
go to work with her business suits stinking of shrimp. Many foods
need to be cooked outdoors. If we wanted fish we'd go out to eat...
fish even stinks up a grill. Even cooking some veggies indoors reek
so bad it'd take a case of room deodorizer to get rid of some stench,
cabbage is a stinker.
notbob <notbob@q.com>: Jun 23 09:12AM -0600

I know a lot of you like/use slow cookers (Crock Pots) and I ran across
this:
 
https://www.delish.com/cooking/g362/slow-cooker-chicken/?slide=14
 
Heck, may even try one myself. That "1 of 32" (use the arrow buttons
on that first picture), "Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings" sounds pretty
good. ;)
 
nb
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jun 23 08:48AM -0400

jmcquown wrote:
 
> You do know living alone doesn't mean "lonely", right?
 
I live alone and I'm not lonely. I like it.
 
Sheldon gave up onions for his wife. I wouldn't do that.
I would just cook 2 versions of a meal.
penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 10:10AM -0400

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:01:17 -0400, jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>
wrote:
 
>point. He was convicted on "malicious mischief" charges. The judge and
>the prosecutor threw the book at him. Too bad the book only allowed 11/29.
 
>He never bothered me again. LOL Don't mess with Jill.
 
He sounds mentally ill. With my first three after we split I never
saw or spoke to them again, I've no idea if they're still alive.
 
>> have met because we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives all
>> alone.
 
>Congrats! Really. You do know living alone doesn't mean "lonely", right?
 
I tried living alone, I hated it. I think living alone is easier for
women because single women are more accepting of other single women.
Most men are too competitive, constantly having to outdo each other
and boasting/exaggerating about everything. Even as adults they
behave like kids playing sports. I never enjoyed male company and
still don't... sometimes I just tolerate them. I find that most men
are all mouth and no ears, there's never any conversation, it's all
about their boring minutia, they are still like children constantly
showing off their toy box.
 
My living alone days were when I was much younger and I really didn't
like all the alone time, nor was I ever one to hang at a bar, which
was what most single guys did and still do. Now that I'm a lot older
I don't mind stints of being alone for a day or two. However I know I
wouldn't like being alone all the time.
 
 
>> onions but I manage. Tonight it's fried Italian saw-seege, not sure
>> with what yet. Dosen't matter, we've never argued about food... she
>> doesn;'t care, she eats whatever I cook so long as no onions.
 
She likes plain white rice so that's what we had with the sausages,
and I know to make extra so she can freeze some to have later.
 
>them. A fine mince and they must be cooked until tender. When I say
>"saute" I mean "soft".
 
>Jill
 
I enjoy onions well cooked or raw. I like raw onions in all kinds of
salads and in some sandwiches. I get my share of onions when my wife
is not home, like today she will be playing in a golf tournament all
afternoon. I'm welcome to attend but I don't play golf and I find it
boring to watch. I'll be pruning three trees, two crab apple and one
maple... their lower growth has gotten too much for the tractor to mow
underneath, so we've been using a push mower, only they are in
different directions making it a long walk pushing a mower.
The golf club puts out lunch before the tournament starts, typically
burgers. I'll likely have a tuna sald sandwich with raw onion. I've
switched to sweet onions, I like them more than the sharp tasting
onions.
penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 10:44AM -0400

On 23 Jun 2019 Gary wrote:
 
>I live alone and I'm not lonely. I like it.
 
>Sheldon gave up onions for his wife. I wouldn't do that.
>I would just cook 2 versions of a meal.
 
That's why you live alone... loners never learned to get along with
others... you would never make it in the military. I don't mind at
all cooking for my wife and making what she likes... she gave up lamb
chops for me. I didn't give up onions, truth is I wouldn't eat onions
all that often anyway, and I still cook with onions because I know how
to sneak some in, for stews I add a couple whole that I can easily
fish out for me, for pasta sauce I'll add some onion but mince it so
fine it dissolves and don't use too much, plus I use enough garlic to
cover up the onion. When she visits her sons and grands they can eat
lamb, nothing can cover up that stench, maybe a skunk. Cooking for
400 aboard ship I learned to prepare foods so that everyone would eat
it. I don't mind catering to others, in fact I enjoy that, I get a
lot of satisfaction from pleasing others. I get along well with most
people because I'm good at compromising, it certainly appears that you
prefer living selfishly, I never think about giving up things for
others, to me compromising means sharing.
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 04:11PM +0100

In article <hauuge1g0devmvjh2o0iak0sp7nttmna1i@4ax.com>, penmart01
@aol.com says...
 
> are all mouth and no ears, there's never any conversation, it's all
> about their boring minutia, they are still like children constantly
> showing off their toy box.
 
LOL


So it IS true, Americans don't do irony :-)
 
Janet UK.
Terry Coombs <snag_one@msn.com>: Jun 23 08:38AM -0500

On 6/23/2019 8:30 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.
 
  Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here ... they are allowed
to live as long as they stay out of the garden . I do have fencing etc
to keep them out , they do have their place . And it's anywhere but in
my garden . This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .
 
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !
notbob <notbob@nothome.com>: Jun 23 02:23PM


>   Not much that's "noble" about the rabbits here [...]
> This time of year they're pretty nasty with parasites , not
> fit to eat so I don't like to kill them .
 
Jackrabbits or Cottontails?
 
In CA, it was mostly jacks. Here, in the CO Rockies, it's mostly
Cottontails. ;)
 
nb
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 04:05PM +0100

In article <521b868a-b775-402d-a4e1-e2a467f94cfd@googlegroups.com>,
parkstreetbooboo@gmail.com says...
 
> I used to love eating rabbit. We usually either roasted it, or made a goulash with it. The last time I had it, I found I no longer cared for it. It was the texture. Maybe it's just too lean for my taste.
 
I used to buy, cook and eat wild rabbit often when we were young and
poor; delicious and very cheap. Back then butchers sold game hanging on
hooks round their shop, gutted but legs head and fur (or feathers) on.
 
I was well used to skinning a rabbit. Then one day during my first
pregnancy, still a bit queasy in the morning, I was peeling the skin off
a rabbit when suddenly the awful thought struck me "This naked rabbit
looks just like a little pink dead baby, WAAAAAAAHHH".
 
Yes, we did eat it, but that was the last time I cooked rabbit for
several years.

Last time I ate rabbit was a fortnight ago at our favourite local
pub. Local wild rabbit, cooked in cider with prunes, served with mashed
potato and buttered cabbage. So tender and tasty.
 
Janet UK
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jun 23 10:07AM -0400

Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> just uncontrolled swearing.
 
> Your understanding of the spectrum of sexuality and sexual identity
> is similarly primitive.
 
I'm just old-school. All this touchy-feely nonsense these days is
just that to me...nonsense.
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 03:07PM +0100

In article <5D0F746F.70FC8195@att.net>, g.majors@att.net says...
 
> > Tourette syndrome is an interest disorder. Having this neurological disorder probably greatly increases your chance of getting pummeled with fist every time you go out in public. Mostly, the public should be educated about it so they don't freak out when they come across a person so afflicted.
 
> Personally I think that Tourette's syndrome is a farce and just
> an excuse for an controlled bad temper.
 
Obviously based on yet another example of your medical ignorance.
 
All the tics associated with Tourettes are completely involuntary,
and most have nothing to do with swearing.
 
<https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/tourettes-syndrome/>
 

 
Janet UK
A Moose in Love <parkstreetbooboo@gmail.com>: Jun 23 07:15AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 10:07:32 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> > is similarly primitive.
 
> I'm just old-school. All this touchy-feely nonsense these days is
> just that to me...nonsense.
 
I remember watching a documentary about a gal with Tourette Syndrome. She never used profanity, but every few words and she'd speak the following word in a loud voice: 'Roar'. That was it; I don't understand it, but I don't think that she could help it. example: How are you ROAR today?
penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 11:03AM -0400

>ass kicked. They will quickly learn not to do that again. If
>someone with me did that in public, they would never do it again
>(at least not when I'm with them).
 
Violence won't teach them simply because they are incapable of
learning, those who use foul language are uneducated. I know yoose
won't believe me but I never use bedroom language except in the
bedroom.
 
>Same thing with all this transgender nonsense these days. You
>want to be a woman? Guess what? You are NOT a woman so deal with
>it. You can NOT use a woman's bathroom, freak. ;)
 
Being married I use a woman's bathroom every day. I don't think there
are many residenses with urinals. Here the men's room is in the
woods... I know very well why male dogs prefer peeing on tree trunks,
they don't get belittled by some bitch for their bad aim and dribbling
on the rim. LOL
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jun 23 10:07AM -0400

John Kuthe wrote:
 
> And April and I are NEIGHBORS!
 
> She's my Girl Next Door! :-)
 
> John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Use Your Imagination!
 
Use your head. Young women being nice to you doesn't mean they
are interested in dating old-ass you. Quit embarrassing yourself
by hitting on them. Those days are over, John. Face it.
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 03:10PM +0100

In article <d2aef0a2-3210-4976-9b7f-aaf77b328d54@googlegroups.com>,
johnkuthern@gmail.com says...
 
> And April and I are NEIGHBORS!
 
> She's my Girl Next Door! :-)
 
Pretty unlikely that the girl next door has any interest whatever in the
crazy old man next door.
 
Janet UK
John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 07:50AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 9:10:38 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
 
> Pretty unlikely that the girl next door has any interest whatever in the
> crazy old man next door.
 
> Janet UK
 
Interest? A banking or sexual thing? ;-)
 
I HAD a little girl Next Door to me as a kid. Robin Hotze, I kid you NOT! Her 'Rents moved to FLA when I was a kid! Orlando Beach I believe!
 
John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Fantasizing A Lot!
John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 07:51AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 8:07:56 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
 
> > She's my Girl Next Door! :-)
 
> > John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Use Your Imagination!
 
> Is there a shortage of lithium in Da Lou?
 
Probably. ;-)
 
John Kuthe...
"Ophelia" <OphElsnore@gmail.com>: Jun 23 02:48PM +0100

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qenu5p$lq2$1@dont-email.me...
 
 
No , not the breaded and dropped in boiling oil kind of fry , but
baby fishies kind of fry . We bought 4 green lantern platies , 3 girls
and a boy , they have so far produced 2 batches of fry , right now there
are over 20 babies in 2 small mesh/plastic baskets in the big tank . I
was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
many in a 30 gallon tank ...
 
Snag
 
====
 
I used to keep fish in a two big tanks:) Mostly goldfish and some
other sorts I can't remember:))
Terry Coombs <snag_one@msn.com>: Jun 23 09:02AM -0500

On 6/23/2019 8:48 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> ====
 
>     I used to keep fish in a two big tanks:)  Mostly goldfish and some
> other sorts I can't remember:))
 
 I find it very relaxing to stop and watch the fish occasionally . We
opted for a lot of smaller fish , all types that like to run in groups .
Most are egg layers , I don't know if we'll see them reproduce or not .
 
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jun 23 10:08AM -0400

Terry Coombs wrote:
> was hoping they'd reproduce , but I sure didn't expect this ! I sure
> hope I can find someone to take some of these , 40+ fish is probably too
> many in a 30 gallon tank ...
 
If aquarium gets too crowded, just buy a small snakehead. Problem
solved within a half hour.
"Ophelia" <OphElsnore@gmail.com>: Jun 23 03:09PM +0100

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news:qeo0oi$3q5$1@dont-email.me...
 
On 6/23/2019 8:48 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> ====
 
> I used to keep fish in a two big tanks:) Mostly goldfish and some
> other sorts I can't remember:))
 
I find it very relaxing to stop and watch the fish occasionally . We
opted for a lot of smaller fish , all types that like to run in groups .
Most are egg layers , I don't know if we'll see them reproduce or not .
 
Snag
 
===
 
Yes, very relaxing! Oh dear you have me thinking about having some
again LOL
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 02:58PM +0100

In article <6fc475b4-7e6e-4d29-9ed9-56e1ce127fee@googlegroups.com>,
angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com says...
 
> > >> I'm glad I don't live in the US.
 
> > >The statistics aren't any better for Australia:
 
> > ><https://www.budgetdirect.com.au/home-contents-insurance/research/home-burglary-statistics.html>
 
 
"Only 44% of households that experienced an attempted break-in reported
the incident to the police. 22% of those that didn?t report to the
police considered the incident too trivial/unimportant to report"
 
suggests Australians are far less frightened or intimidated. Most
burglaries are via an unlocked door or window; 67 % of offenders carry
no weapon and most spend less than 5 minutes in the building.

 
Janet UK
"Ophelia" <OphElsnore@gmail.com>: Jun 23 03:02PM +0100

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:f3LPE.6121$1x5.2258@fx47.iad...
 
On 6/23/2019 7:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> husband keeps a gun on hand (but locks it away when we both are away
>>from the house).
 
> I'm glad I don't live in the US.
 
Makes two of us.
 
===
 
LOL
"Ophelia" <OphElsnore@gmail.com>: Jun 23 02:48PM +0100

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message news:T_KPE.6119$1x5.3108@fx47.iad...
 
On 6/23/2019 5:25 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> There are reports here in the newspapers, that half the food bought,
> ends up in landfill!!!
 
> What a waste:(
 
That does not happen in my house.
 
My guess is the lady was just trying to get a rise out the the cashier
for asking. No one eats that much chicken.
 
===
 
Hopefully!
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Jun 23 08:47AM -0400

Julie Bove wrote:
> bought a pack of English Muffins. Nothing else. They gave me 10 free packs.
> We were all pretty horrified. I gave some away but dang. Meals for weeks
> featured English Muffins in some form or another!
 
Why horrified? You should go to that Oakland outfit more often.
Freeze the extra's. Doesn't hurt muffins at all. Toast them and
consider yourself lucky.
 
Julie: "No freezer space."
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment