Sunday, June 23, 2019

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 11 topics

John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 11:52AM -0700

April would be proud of me! :-)
 
John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Well Exercised Today!
"cshenk" <cshenk1@cox.net>: Jun 23 11:35AM -0500

Ophelia wrote:
 
> statins. So maybe something to watch out for.
 
> Anyway, I am very pleased all is going well, I wish you all the
> luck in the world that it continues:)
 
Thank you! Life is going back to normal here. Yes, statins can be a
problem and his next trip to the Doctor's office, I'm going with him to
make sure they record his issues with them.
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Jun 23 09:54AM -0700

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 11:28:45 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
 
> Ahaaaaaaaa! You are now hooked on the Air Fryer:))) What you are
> saying about your pressure cooker, you were saying about your Air Fryer:)))
 
> Let us hope you get to enjoy your new piece of kit as much:)))
 
I can't say that I'm hooked on this appliance. It does make a nice chicken wing. If I was hooked on chicken wings, I might be. OTOH, the only appliance I'm hooked on is my range. Mostly, I'll keep these toys until I get tired of them and need the space.
 
The pressure cooker and the air-fryer are both NuWave branded toys.
 
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nuwave-6.5-qt.-non-electric-pressure-cooker?ID=8122666
"cshenk" <cshenk1@cox.net>: Jun 23 12:10PM -0500

dsi1 wrote:
 
> > > looking pot that uses a spring pressure regulator. I'd rather
> > > have a gravity regulator but for $32, I can't complain. I made
> > > pot roast. It was okay. What do I do now? Beats me. :)
 
https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/EMZSBceyR4a8v4StXypEFQ.v9gN6xIL5JM0maPuNGFOU3
 
> > Somehow, they never seemed like a 'fun' device to me.
 
> They were more fun when I was younger. Not so much now. I'm guessing
> because I'm not that much into meat these days.
 
Probably true! The main claim to fame they seem to have is making
dried beans faster but frankly, I'm ok with a crockpot for that and how
long it takes. I guess in the back of my mind, the low and slow lets
the spices meld better. or so I think.
 
If I canned a lot, I'd want one for that too but I don't do more than
the stray jelly/jam with fruits.
 
They *may* be useful with another dish I have going now, but I'm just
fine with it taking longer in a crockpot. I'm making reduced sodium
'salt boiled peanuts'. The true recipe uses a LOT of salt, like 1/4
CUP is the starting point. Mine uses 3TB of a lower sodium soy sauce,
then adds a medium strength chile powder blend at about 1TB. Not
totally low-sodium, but reasonable with portion control. 1/2cup still
in shell works out at about 150mg sodium (about 1/3cup nut meat). Mine
will take 18 hours on medium/low and get better and better for up to 48
hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
(unlikely but happens).
"cshenk" <cshenk1@cox.net>: Jun 23 12:17PM -0500

Julie Bove wrote:
 
> > on the veggies and fruits, reliance on seafood for at least 1/3 of
> > all meals that have meat (seafood is meat to me).
 
> Okay.
 
Heheh ok, got your own recipe for a meal? I can google plenty and have
some ideas but was thinking to make some tomorrow or the next day when
I get home from work. I only recall your's was a scratch mix and
looked pretty good.
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Jun 23 10:42AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:10:18 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> hours total time. I have about 4 cups of raw going and the meats
> freeze exceptionally well for later dishes if any are left Tuesday
> (unlikely but happens).
 
A pressure cooker makes canning at home possible. For people back in the old days that needed to preserve foods, it was a godsend. These days, not so much.
 
Cooking a roast in a pressure cooker at an elevated temperature makes the meat look a little odd. It looks misshaped and "stressed out." I'll try a pork butt and make some kalua pork. That might turn out a little nicer.
"cshenk" <cshenk1@cox.net>: Jun 23 01:38PM -0500

Julie Bove wrote:
 
> leftovers in the fridge. I am cooking some plain rice so I shouldn't
> have to cook tomorrow.
 
> I will have the rest of the tuna salad in a pita.
 
Similar to me, but I rely on what i have but I rarely go to the store
for anything specific for a certain dish. Like the amalgum of my
shopping yesterday, I have staples we use and then plan meals around
them.
penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 01:57PM -0400

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 10:23:02 -0600, U.S. Janet B. <JB@nospam.com>
wrote:
 
 
>> Janet UK.
 
>LOL :-)
>Janet US
 
I wasn't being ironic, just speaking factual truth.... most males I've
met all my life were uber competitive., and none of them liked other
males either, they tolerate each other when needed.
 
I've had very few male friends, most of my friends were/are female.
And as I've gotten older most people I knew are now gone. I only keep
in touch with one person who served on the same ship with me and he
says most from that time are gone. He Lives in Brooklyn and used to
visit me here because his brother lived here but his brother passed on
so he no longer visits other than by phone. Kids I grew up with and
classmates who were friends are all gone. Of all the people I knew
from work most are gone except for two who are in nursing homes on the
other coast and are unable to hold a phone conversation. I recently
checked the Yellowbook phone directory for a neighbor women in
Shoreham NY, Long Island who I knew well because no one answers her
phone anymore, says Anna Mae Snyder; deceased.... she was a year
younger than me.
 
That's the only negative I've found about getting older is that most
everyone from the past is gone and its near impossible for older males
to become friends as they share no history. I joined organizations
and went to some meetings but then stopped going because there was no
comraderie, a two hour meeting once a month with no one speaking to
each other afterwards did nothing for me.
Terry Coombs <snag_one@msn.com>: Jun 23 12:38PM -0500


> eat them!
 
> --
 
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
 
  Yeah , right . That'd be like swallowing goldfish only smaller . None
of these fish is over 1 1/2 inches long
 
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Jun 23 10:53AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 7:37:58 AM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:
> Yes , I'm old
> and crochety - and armed .
> Get outta my woods !
 
My mother-in-law made me a soup with tiny little whole fishes and whole baby octopus. The octopus were stiff in a permanently alarmed pose. It looked like they were dropped into boiling water while still alive. Ick. It was a macabre carousel of death aquarium horror-soup. If I'm lucky, I'll die without ever meeting up another such dish.
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Jun 23 10:32AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:05:45 AM UTC-10, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I once read a book by a trekker who traveled on Ellesmere Island. He stated there once was a herd of arctic hare there that numbered approx. 40,000. The hares there, when they herd, they hop about so that predators get confused. The little ones, when they are finished drinking Mother's milk will box with each other for about half an hour.
 
> http://www.arctic.uoguelph.ca/cpl/organisms/mammals/Terrestrial/archare.htm
 
A herd of rabbits gives me the creeps. 1 or 2 rabbits is pretty damn cute and cuddly. 40,000 sounds like an ecological disaster. We have an island just off the coast called "Rabbit Island." Some guy raised rabbits on it and they flourished there. Unfortunately they were killing the native birds that nested there so the rabbits were wiped out. Curiously, it's shaped like a rabbit head in certain angles.
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAms_iuWJyI
coltwvu@gmail.com: Jun 23 10:41AM -0700

There's snowshoe rabbits which are really hares in the mountains of WV.
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Jun 23 10:52AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 1:32:57 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
 
> > http://www.arctic.uoguelph.ca/cpl/organisms/mammals/Terrestrial/archare.htm
 
> A herd of rabbits gives me the creeps. 1 or 2 rabbits is pretty damn cute and cuddly. 40,000 sounds like an ecological disaster. We have an island just off the coast called "Rabbit Island." Some guy raised rabbits on it and they flourished there. Unfortunately they were killing the native birds that nested there so the rabbits were wiped out. Curiously, it's shaped like a rabbit head in certain angles.
 
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAms_iuWJyI
 
Places that have indigenous rabbits have indigenous predators.
 
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Jun 23 10:40AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-4, A Moose in Love wrote:
 
> > Better safe than sorry.
 
> > Cindy Hamilton
 
> The world is becoming(has become)a more violent place. Street gangs used to fight with fists, chains, the odd zip gun etc.
 
Once in a while there's an old Adam-12 rerun on. When the dispatcher
says "with chains and knives" I know that was serious business back then.
Nowadays I always mentally edit it to "with AKs and Uzis".
 
Cindy Hamilton
John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 09:51AM -0700

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 10:11:27 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
 
> Jealous? For a check to cover your repair? No, not even a little bit.
 
> My money is earned - not inherited - and it allows me to be comfortable
> and have enough for an early retirement without a house full of renters.
 
ROFL!!! Rich Capitalist PIG! :-(
 
I KNEW you were envious of my inherited WEALTH!! Your renters would NEVER live with you, their Rich Stinking Capitalist LANDLORD!!
 
In think more about my housemates than YOU would ever think of your Rental Tenants! My Housemates LIVE WITH ME in the same house, and a damned nice house it it too! I was just out MOWING my back yard this AM and got a compliment on the colors of my deck! By the LADY of a jogging couple who jogged up the path out back along the road
that separates my back yard from UMSL Ballfield!
 
YOU live in your own Rent Wealth Generated CASTLE and I'll bet your Tenants would love to excoriate you! ROFL!!
 
John Kuthe...
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Jun 23 10:36AM -0700

John Kuthe wrote:
 
> that separates my back yard from UMSL Ballfield!
 
> YOU live in your own Rent Wealth Generated CASTLE and I'll bet your Tenants would love to excoriate you! ROFL!!
 
> John Kuthe...
 
 
If your tenants moved outta your boarding house, you'd be DEAD IN THE WATER financially...'course you already ARE...
 
--
Best
Greg
John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 10:31AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:10:36 AM UTC-5, A Moose in Love wrote:
 
> > Probably. ;-)
 
> > John Kuthe...
 
> Good one John. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I take an anti-depressant.
 
I take Seroquel, a modern antipsychotic pharmaceutical! Quetiapine Fumarate is its chemical name. 50MG HS! Bedtime DRUG!
 
John Kuthe...
John Kuthe <johnkuthern@gmail.com>: Jun 23 10:33AM -0700

> mention food or food stuffs.
 
> --
 
> ____/~~~sine qua non~~~\____
 
Whenever I DO mention food stuffs, I get NO RESPONSE!
 
Ya bunch of Drama Queen Fakirs!
 
John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Make Up The Rest Yourself!
songbird <songbird@anthive.com>: Jun 23 12:39PM -0400

what's in yours?
 
 
songbird
Janet <Janet@somewhere.com>: Jun 23 05:56PM +0100

In article <vim4uf-sn2.ln1@anthive.com>, songbird@anthive.com says...
 
> what's in yours?
 
Bread, cheese, pickled onion and/or chutney, and beer or cider.
 
Janet UK
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Jun 23 10:23AM -0700

songbird wrote:
 
> what's in yours?
 
 
Today, it's a big tossed salad, a BBQ p0rk sammich, and red razberries w/vanilla yogurt for the pud...
 
--
Best
Greg
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Jun 23 12:42PM -0400

On 2019-06-23 12:07 p.m., dsi1 wrote:
>> can NOT use a woman's bathroom, freak. ;)
 
> That's an interesting take on this neurological disorder - mostly,
> it's all in people's minds. :)
 
That's not very politically correct. The PC crowd will tell you that it
is not a disorder, and that people are the gender they think they are.
There are people trying to rid our language of gender specific pronouns
and to ban conversion therapy.
A Moose in Love <parkstreetbooboo@gmail.com>: Jun 23 09:53AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 12:39:25 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> is not a disorder, and that people are the gender they think they are.
> There are people trying to rid our language of gender specific pronouns
> and to ban conversion therapy.
 
Much of the PC movement has it's roots in neo-nazification of Canada. We, people like you and me knead to stop the nazification of Canada and the rest of the western world. The best way to do so is to start with the demonization of the Jew, the Gypsy, the Homosexah, the Lezbean. Smith, we must stand together in our fight against filth like your old man who ripped apart French civilians.
And burned them. And rendered many 100's of thousands homeless. Hope your filth of a Father was proud. And the next time you attack anyone in my family, you filth, don't expect me to play nice.
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Jun 23 10:08AM -0700

On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 6:39:25 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> is not a disorder, and that people are the gender they think they are.
> There are people trying to rid our language of gender specific pronouns
> and to ban conversion therapy.
 
"Syndrome" is a more neutral word and I'm fine with using that instead. Conversion therapy sounds to be as practical as converting a microwave oven into a mini-fridge. :)
penmart01@aol.com: Jun 23 01:04PM -0400


>> If you're not interested and she's not interested, no reason to look for it.
 
>Even among meat eaters I suspect that veal is probably very
>politically incorrect and unpopular these days.
 
No different than lamb.
 
>Take a few minutes to read all of this. Pretty sad stuff.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veal
 
>Did you read all of that? Very cruel stuff for young animals.
 
No different than preditors that primarily go after the young.
 
 
>Animals raised for human food should at the very least be given a
>happy life from birth until the end. Sickening actually how so
>many are treated.
 
Animals in the wild have no concept of human happiness, and most all
meet their demise early and from a horrid illness with lots of
suffering... for sick animals happiness comes when a preditor takes
them. You need to be realistic, many animals in the wild contract
terminal illnesses and get no medical attention, for those a quick
death is a gift.
 
>In the old days, humans had to hunt for meat. At least those
>animals had a normal life before being killed.
 
Where I live I'd guesstimate that more than half the meat consumed is
hunted/fished, and fresh roadkill. That said most critters hit by
vehicals dont get instant death, they slink off to suffer in agony for
several days until the end... not a day passes when I'm driving that I
don't see fresh roadkill of all sorts, and many of them... most
critters are nocturnal so in darkness is when they meet vehicals.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment