Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Nov 29 10:05AM -0500

On 2017-11-28 11:22 PM, jmcquown wrote:
 
> I must admit, I have never tasted a parsnip.  Your mention that they
> taste naturally sweet (like winter squash) intrigues me.  I may just
> have to give parsnips a try. :)
 
Do yourself a favour and try roasting them rather than boiling. I hated
them for years and was urged to try them roasted. I did and I thought
they were very good. After having them roasted a number of times I tried
them boiled, and they were just as nasty as I had remembered them.
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Nov 29 10:15AM -0500

On 11/29/2017 10:01 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
 
> Well, one parsnip isn't going to break you or kill you so go for it
> once. You know, a bucket experience :-}
> Janet US
 
Very true! It's not as if I have to buy a ton of them.
 
Jill
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Nov 29 10:19AM -0500

>> the evil eye for me.
 
> You're relying on how someone else tastes it - personally I loathe
> sweet potatoes and love parsnips :)
 
Different people, different tastes. I like sweet potatoes once in a
while. I like roasted parsnips once in a while. I do not like boiled
parsnips at all. I am indifferent to carrots. They are good raw, not bad
roasted, not very good boiled. I can take them or leave them.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 09:04AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 7:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
 
>> nb --dang! Swore I wouldn't make Trump jokes....
 
> You don't have to.  He's making a mockery of himself without any help. ;)
 
> Jill
 
Oddly enough it's the abuser-laden lamestream media he's been twigging
with unfailing results.
 
They've not yet caught on to the fact he uses his tweets as a
side-skirmish and a catch-all for their ire while simultaneously
implementing real changes sans the slightest "Fake News" coverage.
 
It's a brilliant and novel Presidential strategy, one unexpected of a 70
year old man, yet one so irresistible that the press keeps taking the
bait time after time.
 
Peruse a list of his accomplishments and tell us how many even made the
news cycle, here or abroad:
 
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/454028/donald-trump-accomplishments-thanksgiving
 
 
Sun Tzu taught of this strategy now eons ago:
 
"Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak."
 
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack,
we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive;
when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when
far away, we must make him believe we are near."
 
"Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to
discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable
patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the
extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate."
 
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."
penmart01@aol.com: Nov 29 11:08AM -0500

On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 21:28:10 -0700, U.S. Janet B. <JB@nospam.com>
wrote:
 
 
>>Jill
 
>let me know when you do and how it turns out
>Janet US
 
For me a parsnip is a must for chicken soup, adds a special flavor.
However after cooking I toss it out, I don't like the texture of
parsnip. like eating a gritty carrot.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 10:07AM -0500

On 11/29/2017 9:21 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> Butt fuck it.
 
> ROFL!!! :-)
 
> John Kuthe...
 
Just to make it food related...
 
What is the difference between anal sex and a microwave?
 
A microwave doesn't brown your meat.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 08:49AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 7:21 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
>> Butt fuck it.
 
> ROFL!!! :-)
 
> John Kuthe...
 
a froggery.
 
 
/ \
( o )
\ | /
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 09:05AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 8:07 AM, ardiente casa del amor wrote:
 
> Just to make it food related...
 
> What is the difference between anal sex and a microwave?
 
> A microwave doesn't brown your meat.
 
forged.
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Nov 29 03:19AM -0800

On Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 8:47:07 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> bits of duck added to a bowl of noodles. She said an eight pound duck
> and things took off from there. I really don't want to buy a big duck
> (assuming I could find one).
 
No, she didn't mention any of that. I was extrapolating ways to stretch
duck meat so that everybody in the family would feel satisfied with the
meal.
 
Cindy Hamilton
U.S. Janet B. <JB@nospam.com>: Nov 29 08:10AM -0700

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 01:19:43 -0600, Sqwertz <swertz@cluemail.compost>
wrote:
 
>into a hot oven which I turned down low right after I put in the
>roast. I probably did that at 235F or less.
 
>-sw
 
there's a reason the song works. I often hear myself muttering that
to myself as I pick herbs for seasoning something. :-)
So the slow oven was responsible for the even cooking of the rare
meat. Thanks
Janet US
Sqwertz <swertz@clumail.compost>: Nov 29 08:42AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 12:19 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I probably did that at 235F or less.
 
> -sw
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
 
> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
 
> -sw
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
 
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this
review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 08:47AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 4:19 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> duck meat so that everybody in the family would feel satisfied with the
> meal.
 
> Cindy Hamilton
 
_o)
\\\__/
..... <____).....
 
One to consider - duck fried rice!
 
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/06/roasted-duck-fried-rice-recipe.html
 
Ingredients
1/2 roasted duck (purchase from a Chinese Market)
1 bunch scallions, sliced
3 carrots, diced
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
3 cups cold cooked white rice
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
Peanut oil
 
 
Of course one can add in other kitchen remnants like mushrooms, ginger, etc.
 
Also a dash of Hoi Sin and a wee sprinkle of 5 spice powder will mimic
that Pekin duck flavor.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 11:03AM -0500

On 11/29/2017 10:42 AM, Boner troll socked up as Sqwertz and forged:
> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
here. A change in my medications is being made to address a disorder I
have been experiencing this summer. I will be monitored, but I am no
longer allowed to engage in certain activities I previously have
enjoyed as they exacerbate my condition. I apologize for being
disruptive, in a better state of mind this was generally not an issue
for me.
Taxed and Spent <nospamplease@nonospam.com>: Nov 29 07:11AM -0800

On 11/28/2017 5:53 AM, jmcquown wrote:
 
> I wouldn't bother making my own ricotta. I rarely need ricotta (or
> cottage cheese) so I just buy a small amount as needed.
 
> Jill
 
Yes, but she said ricotta wasn't available.
penmart01@aol.com: Nov 29 11:02AM -0500

On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 07:11:16 -0800, Taxed and Spent
>> cottage cheese) so I just buy a small amount as needed.
 
>> Jill
 
>Yes, but she said ricotta wasn't available.
 
I likely wouldn't make my own cottage cheese either, especially with
my living in dairy country, but still I'd be interested in how someome
who says it's easy makes it... and because it's not all about me... a
discussion about make cheese, unlike most of the dreck posted here,
is very appropriate for a food group.
 
I actually can't remember the last time I bought cottage cheese,
however a few times a year I buy Farmer's Cheese and Pot Cheese.
Farmer's cheese is like a very dry version of cottage cheese, very
good in sandwhiches in lieu of cream cheese as it won't run out like
cottage cheese. Pot cheese is a very large curd version of cottage
cheese that I like for its tangy flavor and prefer it for lasasgna...
I find ricotta too sweet... I think ricotta is best suited for
pastries like cannoli. All these various types of cheese are readily
available at stores near where I live.
"Ophelia" <OphElsinore@gmail.com>: Nov 29 03:31PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message news:ZBzTB.2269$MS7.107@fx11.iad...
 
On 11/29/2017 9:13 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> Why would they want to take a shot at it?? To each their own yannow:))
 
> So you are saying that HH contains things like pasta etc?
 
> That sounds like a better addition.
 
Yes. It's a way to stretch minced beef, like a casserole except done on
the stovetop.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_Helper
 
Jill
 
==
 
Interesting, thanks.
 
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Cindy Hamilton <angelicapaganelli@yahoo.com>: Nov 29 07:35AM -0800

On Wednesday, November 29, 2017 at 9:17:06 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
 
> there are millions of fans of them in the USA.
 
> ==
 
> Really? Well they can't be all bad then!!
 
They're very salty and have that "I came from a factory"
taste. Still, when the kids are clamoring for dinner,
it might be preferable to yet another trip to McDonald's.
 
Cindy Hamilton
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright@xgmail.com>: Nov 29 03:37PM

On Wed 29 Nov 2017 07:41:36a, Ophelia told us...
 
 
> ==
 
> Good heavens! There are loads of different ones!!! I wonder how
> they never made it to UK?
 
My guess is that there are probably fewer convenience foods in the
UK. Brits actually cook. :-)
 
--
 
~~ If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~
 
~~ A mind is a terrible thing to lose. ~~
 
**********************************************************
 
Wayne Boatwright
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 08:52AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 7:41 AM, Ophelia wrote:
 
> ==
 
> Good heavens!   There are loads of different ones!!!  I wonder how they
> never made it to UK?
 
Good question.
 
If curiosity strikes Amazon.uk has it:
 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hamburger-Helper/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHamburger%20Helper
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Nov 29 10:15AM -0500

On 2017-11-29 2:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
 
> Only if you sign a contract and dispense the syrups through a machine
> that mixes them in the right proportions for retail sale. Often the
> contract will require you to buy the cups from them, too.
 
https://www.amazon.com/Coke-Classic-Soda-Syrup-Gallon/dp/B00HE42V8Y
 
https://www.amazon.com/Pepsi-Syrup-5-gallon/dp/B008PHWU2G
 
Not cane sugar, but you can get the syrup.
Sqwertz <swertz@clumail.compost>: Nov 29 08:41AM -0700

On 11/29/2017 12:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Good luck getting them with real sugar.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
 
> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
 
> -sw
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org/image/jpg/steve-wertz-presentation-057jpg
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
 
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this
review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Nov 29 10:09AM -0500

On 2017-11-28 11:41 PM, Bruiso wrote:
>> you're gone again. :) One would think they'd get tired after a while.
 
> If you didn't bitch about me all the time, you'd never see or hear
> from me. Your choice.
 
This is interesting. You have admitted that you nymshift to get past
filters that you know you are in, but you are trying to claim the high
moral ground. That only works in the minds of the people who do it. You
should look at it the way others do.... an admission than one knows they
are being an ass.
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 08:34AM -0700

On 11/28/2017 10:38 PM, Bruce wrote:
 
>> I have not accused Wayne of one damned thing!
 
>> You owe ME an apology right now you cowardly homewrecker!
 
> Lol, life is getting harder and harder, isn't it?
 
Uh not really, but if you conflate this virtual sandbox with "life" I
can see where yours might be.
 
> Maybe you've reached
> the point again where people in white coats look after you for a
> while?
 
Maybe you're as dumb as Spin and Marty and twice as easily played.
 
Lol, sure looks like it.
 
> Think about it: sedatives, padded walls, soft violin music...
> Wouldn't that be heaven again?
 
Imagine the warm rotisserie spit awaiting you in Hell - basted in your
own bile, skin crisping to a fine mahogany, vital fluid simmering away
for ETERNITY!
 
 
 
 
(_)/|\
) (") | (
,(. A `/ \-| (,`)
)' (' \/\ / | ) (.
(' ),). _W_ | (,)' )
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ardiente casa del amor <exene@john.doe>: Nov 29 08:40AM -0700

On 11/28/2017 10:47 PM, Bruce wrote:
 
>> DIE SOON!
 
> The fact that you talk the way you're talking at the moment makes me
> feel sorry for you.
 
Oh my goodness...evidence of compassion is it?
 
I suspect that must be a very foreign emotion for you, troll.
 
> You're a mental patient on the verge of a
> breakdown.
 
Lol, and you're a troll on the verge of utter dis-basement among all.
 
> What I find much more alarming is that people like Cheri,
> Ophelia and dsi1 find this acceptable behaviour.
 
I'm not saying they're expert gamers, but I suspect that your now very
well-documented trolling is something they understand deserves no
quarter at all.
 
You actually went after Ms. O _and_ her nation for having the temerity
to rebuff the predatory EU.
 
And that's classic late phase troll, biting all hands that reach out
with arrogant hubris and utter derision for the real world realities you
treat like mere playthings.
 
I knew if I gigged you enough times you'd overplay your hand, and so you
have.
 
Enjoy!
jmcquown <j_mcquown@comcast.net>: Nov 29 08:46AM -0500

On 11/29/2017 1:18 AM, Cheri wrote:
 
>> Jill
 
> Yes, I buy the round at Costco, and wedges at the supermarket.
 
> Cheri
 
I wish there was a Costco closer than Savannah. I just can't see
driving 60 miles (one way) to go shopping. But sure, Gary could pick up
a small wedge at the supermarket if he'd like to give it a try. :)
 
Jill
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment