Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 13 topics

"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:19PM

dsi1 wrote:
 
> > types.
 
> Quick breads are typically nothing like yeast breads. What's
> remarkable is being fooled into thinking they're one in the same.
 
Agreed. To me they are almost a different food group from yeast breads.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:14PM

jmcquown wrote:
 
> opt out of those emails. Sorry, trying to figure that out takes up
> more of my time than I care to waste. Delete, delete, delete.
 
> Jill
 
It helps if all the stuff from ref=..... is removed.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:01PM

Dave Smith wrote:
 
 
> > He probably thought "Canada - cold". :)
 
> Much of Canada is cold. I live in the very south.... where most of us
> do.
 
To me that's cold but I live at the snow line and most years we get no
snow.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 03:59PM

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
 
> hasn't gone bad. I had some two year old frozen tamales the other
> night. Other stuff too. :(
 
> leo
 
LOL, we have a good vacumn sealer and use commercial grade bags.
Normally we mark mm/yy and type of meat. Trying to clear it down now.
Chest freezer packed.
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx>: Aug 01 10:27AM -0400

New Aldi store opened and of course, they mailed out $5 off coupons to
promote it. Figured I'd give it a try.
 
I do admit I started with a negative attitude from past experience, but
now they could turn me around. Did they?
 
First problem, I had three dimes in my pocket. Can't get a cart unless
you have a quarter. No problem, I'll go in and get change. Well, yes,
problem. No employee visible to ask, no cashiers, no service desk.
 
OK. I'll walk and carry. I had my bag to put stuff in. They had the
same cherries that I bought in two other stores. Aldi is known for
their prices.
Publix $5.99, Aldi $5.79, Detweilers $2.99
 
I wanted limes. Had none. They did have a large selection of cheeses
in packages. Some salmon looked OK, some ground beef looked horrid, the
Purdue chicken seemed OK and prices reasonable.
 
Then Bryan bragged about their premium vanilla ice cream. They had none.
 
So I went from one end to the other, picked up nothing, gave my coupon
to a lady checking out and that, friends, is the end of story. I see no
reason to ever go back.
Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.compost>: Aug 01 09:13AM -0500

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 16:49:07 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe wrote:
 
 
>>> Lot of dark splotchy parts. Someone should clean it.
>> The liver spots don't surprise me. It does look glabrous, though.
 
> I am Doubly Glabrous this evening! :-)
 
So you admit the liver spots on your scroat.
 
-sw
Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid>: Aug 01 09:08PM +1000

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 20:49:11 -0700 (PDT), "itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net"
 
>> I don't dislike that. That's almost not country music to me. Billy
>> Holiday could have sung that.
 
>Billie, the female spelling has an ie instead of y.
 
Ok, like George/Georges.
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Aug 01 11:22AM


><https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4AgUo33zvk>
 
> which is food related.
 
> Country music, what's not to like?
 
Like any other form, it has good, mediocre, and bad stuff. It's easy
not to like the bad stuff.
 
Even the good stuff might not be to everybody's taste. Or some
of the good stuff.
 
> I'm taking a trip down memory lane.
>:) Don't get me started on Doc Watson.
 
Why not? He was wonderful.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid>: Aug 01 09:29PM +1000

On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:22:53 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
 
>> Country music, what's not to like?
 
>Like any other form, it has good, mediocre, and bad stuff. It's easy
>not to like the bad stuff.
 
It tends to be a bit simple.
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx>: Aug 01 09:45AM -0400

On 8/1/2023 1:02 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> Oh, again! "Father Knows Best". I had an eye for Lauren Chapin.
> I'll stop now. Ain't memories great?
> Oh, and Dragnet! That's it!
 
Our PBS station still has Lawrence Welk on Sat or Sun evening. I've
watched it a couple of times. Polyester suits came in nice bright colors.
Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca>: Aug 01 08:12AM -0600

On 2023-08-01 7:45 a.m., Ed P wrote:
>> Oh, and Dragnet! That's it!
 
> Our PBS station still has Lawrence Welk on Sat or Sun evening.  I've
> watched it a couple of times.  Polyester suits came in nice bright colors.
 
and plastic smiles! It's on every Saturday evening on the Spokane PBS.
Followed by "Keeping up appearances" and then "As time goes by". They
have been played on an endless loop for many, many years.
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Aug 01 08:30AM -0400

On 7/31/2023 11:20 PM, Bruce wrote:
 
>> "1000 boxss cigarettes"
 
>> Yeah, sad about Pee-Wee, he apparently had cancer the last 6 years...
 
> I guess the P stood for Pedo.
 
 
Don't go there. >:-/
 
Paul Reubens will be missed by many. A creative entertainment genius.
The "Today" show on NBC did a nice memorial/overview of his career.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Aug 01 10:01AM -0400

On 2023-08-01 8:30 a.m., Gary wrote:
 
> Don't go there.   >:-/
 
> Paul Reubens will be missed by many. A creative entertainment genius.
> The "Today" show on NBC did a nice memorial/overview of his career.
 
For me he ranks up there with Andy Kaufman. It seems there were some
people who appreciated their humour. I was not one of them.
Sqwertz <sqwertzme@gmail.compost>: Aug 01 09:10AM -0500

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:21:09 -0400, Michael Trew wrote:
 
> for a WWII era battle ship. No wonder Sheldon only cooked in huge steam
> kettles, and used the one qt saucepan as a pet food scoop. ;)
 
> Battle ship provisions pic: https://postimg.cc/QVmXv879
 
If it was on Facebook, you know it's probably fake. As evidenced
by all the horse-drawn carts and canned pineapple.
 
Sure, they could be loading in Hawaii, but the pineapple would be
as fresh as the potatoes, onions, and tomatoes (which would have
been tinned). Bloaters say East coast, europe, or North Atlantic.
There's no SPAM, but instead whole cooked hams on the hoof
*unrefrigerated* (NOPE!). Less than 9,000 eggs, no oatmeal, yet
120,000 pounds of beef? (eggs last much longer than beef - no
cryovac). And no coffee?
 
Also: The Margarine. Why were we severely rationing butter on the
mainland if all the butter was going to the war effort?
 
Post-wartime Facebook propaganda.
 
-sw
songbird <songbird@anthive.com>: Aug 01 07:19AM -0400

Bruce wrote:
...
> "Yes, milk consumption by Americans has been declining for decades. In
> 1975, the average American consumed 29 gallons of milk per year. By
> 2021, that number had fallen to 16 gallons per year."
 
replaced by sodas, iced-teas, juices, energy drinks,
flavored waters, and plain water.
 
i'll drink milk often and consider it critical in
going along with certain foods (chocolate cake and a
glass of milk mmmM). milk is also an ingredient for
tapioca pudding.
 
 
songbird
songbird <songbird@anthive.com>: Aug 01 07:12AM -0400


> Thankfully, me neither and I drink milk 7 days a week. I'm also incredibly
> fond of cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, butter, and yogurt. Did I leave
> anything out???
 
custard, cream cheese, whipped cream, cheese cake,
hot chocolate...
 
 
songbird
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Aug 01 09:59AM -0400

On 2023-08-01 7:19 a.m., songbird wrote:
>> 2021, that number had fallen to 16 gallons per year."
 
> replaced by sodas, iced-teas, juices, energy drinks,
> flavored waters, and plain water.
 
Not in my case. A two liter jug of juices lasts about two weeks in our
house. We drink hot coffee and hot tea and a lot of sparkling water. We
have limited amounts of soft drinks for quests. We often have beer or
wine with dinner. My wife does not share my aversion to milk, but I
can't remember the last time I saw her drink a glass of it.
 
 
> going along with certain foods (chocolate cake and a
> glass of milk mmmM). milk is also an ingredient for
> tapioca pudding.
 
It is definitely not a critical item for me to have it with cakes,
cookies or pies. I use it when making biscuits, muffins and puddings. I
have to be careful about expiry dates when I get milk. It is a heck of a
lot cheaper to buy it in 4 L bags and in one or two litre cartons, but I
have to make sure the BBD is more than two weeks because it will take
three weeks or more to use it up, and I often end up making pudding to
use it up before it goes bad.
Max Demian <max_demian@bigfoot.com>: Aug 01 11:47AM +0100

On 01/08/2023 08:13, Ian Jackson wrote:
> specifically mentioning shoes and food. Many also voted to leave the EU
> as a protest against the Tory's policy of austerity (required to counter
> the ongoing effects of the 2008 crash in the economy).
 
It was to stop those pesky Europeans from interfering with our laws and
economy.
 
--
Max Demian
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Aug 01 09:50AM -0400

On 2023-08-01 3:11 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
 
> It's Rod Speed.
> He's an idiot, constantly changing his posting name to evade killfiles.
> Ignore him.
 
 
You have to feel some pity for those people who are so pathetic that
they have to keep nymshifting to avoid the filters they know they are
in. It is an admission to themselves that they are complete losers.
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Aug 01 11:26AM

> On 2023-08-01, itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net <itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net> wrote:
 
>> The brand Silver Flake, canned, it touted to be rather good.
 
Silver Floss, I think.
 
> Thanks, I'll look for it. For forty years, all I ate was canned. I
> changed to refrigerated because of the crunch, but I can easily go
> back.
 
I like this stuff:
 
https://www.meijer.com/shopping/product/hengstenberg-bavarian-style-sauerkraut-24-oz-/3827451611.html
 
Heat and serve. A lot of kraut requires a fair amount of cooking
to ameliorate the harshness.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Bruce <Bruce@invalid.invalid>: Aug 01 09:30PM +1000

On Tue, 01 Aug 2023 11:26:13 GMT, Cindy Hamilton
 
>https://www.meijer.com/shopping/product/hengstenberg-bavarian-style-sauerkraut-24-oz-/3827451611.html
 
>Heat and serve. A lot of kraut requires a fair amount of cooking
>to ameliorate the harshness.
 
When Americans use the word kraut, it becomes even uglier.
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Aug 01 04:45AM -0700

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 7:22:32 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> meat.
 
> <https://postimg.cc/RWYWShk9>
 
> leo
 
 
I like it... "copacetic", I'd describe it as...
 
--
GM
Gary <g.majors@att.net>: Aug 01 09:35AM -0400

On 7/31/2023 9:58 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
 
> Nearly every night as a snack in bed. Peanut only! It's a habit that I
> have to break. The loose ones have a ball-bearing effect that allows me
> to turn over easily in my sleep.
 
I got obsessed with those for many months one winter.
I snacked on them every night while reading and/or watching tv.
I would buy the one pound bags constantly. Life was good back then.
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Aug 01 04:50AM -0700

dsi1 wrote:
 
> > the the batter. There appears not be be any spillover but the excess can
> > be easily trimmed off which is preferable to voids in the waffle.
> I used to spill my waffle batter years ago. I don't do that any more. I'm better than that.
 
 
WIERD...!!!
 
A Japanese native has transformed himself into a canine after forking out more than $14,000
for a custom-made collie costume.
 
https://nypost.com/2023/07/28/toco-the-human-border-collie-steps-out-for-first-ever-walk-in-public/
 
Man who spent $14K to transform himself into collie steps out for first-ever walk in public
 
"The dog days are just beginning for this man.
 
A Japanese native has transformed himself into a canine after forking out more than $14,000
for a custom-made collie costume.
 
The private citizen, who goes only by Toco online, says the unusual garment has helped actualize his dream of "becoming an animal."
 
Footage shared to Toco's YouTube channel, where he boasts more than 32,000 subscribers, shows him clad in the costume as he frolics on a lawn, rolls on a floor, and plays fetch.
 
Toco has even uploaded a video of himself venturing out in public as a dog for the very first time.
 
Bystanders appeared to be in awe of the man's doggy debut as he paraded down a busy street in the viral clip, which has racked up 1.7 million views.
 
Toco completed the costume with a harness strapped around his furry abdomen, but admitted he was "nervous" and "scared" of venturing out in public.
 
"Do you remember your dreams from when you are little? You want to be a hero or a wizard," he wrote in the clip, describing his life-dog dog dream as seemingly "unrealistic."
 
"I remember writing in my grade school graduation book that I wanted to be a dog and walk outside."
 
As an introduction to his unusual hobby, Toco answered a series of questions in a video posted last year, admitting he always "had a vague dream of becoming an animal" ever since he was a child.
 
"When I fulfilled that dream, this is how it turned out," he wrote in the clip, adding that he chose to become a collie due to the negligible size difference between the breed and humans.
 
Zeppet, the company that manufactured Toco's collie costume, says it took 40 days to create the furry fashion item, which cost a cool $2 million Yen (USD $14,161).
 
"Modeled after a collie dog, it reproduces the appearance of a real dog walking on four legs," the company's spokesperson told news.com.au.
 
Despite garnering online fame with his puppy pursuit, Toco conceals his unusual proclivities from most of his friends and family.
 
"I rarely tell my friends because I am afraid they will think I am weird,' he said in a separate interview with the Mirror. "My friends and family seemed very surprised to learn I became an animal."
 
Meanwhile, the Japanese man said last year that most of his colleagues are also unaware that he dresses as a dog outside of work.
 
"I don't want my hobbies to be known, especially by the people I work with," he told the Daily Mail..."
 
</>
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Aug 01 11:28AM


> And choking down or savoring the mud-vein. Different strokes, I guess.
> I have a Western U.S. view on shellfish. I like 'em gutted before they
> hit my plate.
 
There typically isn't much in that final section of tail. I've never
found it to be gritty.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment