Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 12 topics

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:59PM -0400

On 8/1/2023 10:10 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> mainland if all the butter was going to the war effort?
 
> Post-wartime Facebook propaganda.
 
> -sw
 
Probably so, but I posted it because I thought of Sheldon, and it made
me chuckle.
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Aug 01 10:03AM -0700

Michael Trew wrote:
 
 
> > -sw
> Probably so, but I posted it because I thought of Sheldon, and it made
> me chuckle.
 
 
Yeah, I liked it... WW II rationing has always been one of my "interests"...
 
Wonder how our Old Sailor is doing, hope he is comfortable...
 
--
GM
dsi1 <dsi123@hawaiiantel.net>: Aug 01 10:43AM -0700

On Monday, July 31, 2023 at 8:21:15 AM UTC-10, Michael Trew wrote:
> to read the words on the carts. I assume that "bloaters" are fish?
 
> --------------------------------------------------
 
> OT: RIP Pee-Wee Herman
 
My guess is that this would be for a British battleship.
Janet <nobody@home.com>: Aug 01 06:36PM +0100

Found a Pru Leith recipe book last week (jumble sale; I
was running the book stall)
 
John cooked this PL recipe for lunch
 
https://app.ckbk.com/recipe/prue91481c03s001ss001r007/slow
-roast-shoulder-of-lamb-with-anchovy
 
(on mashed potatoes, served with buttered kale and the veg
from the roasting tin)
 
loved it.
 
Anchovy with lamb sounds really weird but it's a great
combination
 
Janet UK
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 01:14PM -0400

On 8/1/2023 10:27 AM, Ed P wrote:
 
> So I went from one end to the other, picked up nothing, gave my coupon
> to a lady checking out and that, friends, is the end of story. I see no
> reason to ever go back.
 
I don't buy meat there (save frozen fish), but they usually have good
deals on produce. Butter is cheap enough. That deal you had on
cherries must have been some kind of sale at the other store. ALDI
potato chips are OK, ice cream is fine, and I get cheap cans of beans
and tomato sauce. The selection is limited in general, and I don't go
regularly. Maybe every couple of months.
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Aug 01 10:23AM -0700

Michael Trew wrote:
 
> potato chips are OK, ice cream is fine, and I get cheap cans of beans
> and tomato sauce. The selection is limited in general, and I don't go
> regularly. Maybe every couple of months.
 
 
They have good deals on German - imported holiday treats around Christmas, and
their house brand chocolate bars (German) are good...
 
But yeah, they'll often only have a house brand of an item, and if they are out of that, yer outta luck...
 
Used to shop at one in Chicago's Uptown years ago when I worked adjacent to an Aldi, but
have not been back since...
 
--
GM
"Bering Sea Bar & Brig@MarthaStewart.GoodThing" <jgrove24@hotmail.com>: Aug 01 10:35AM -0700

On Tuesday, August 1, 2023 at 9:27:09 AM UTC-5, Ed P wrote:
 
> So I went from one end to the other, picked up nothing, gave my coupon
> to a lady checking out and that, friends, is the end of story. I see no
> reason to ever go back.
 
Always one cashier watching the self pay. I like their organic whole beans coffee and vanilla ice cream. Chicago had reports of empty shelves so FL must have stolen the food. For the record I wasn't impressed by the famous Italian grocery in St. Pete. The sub was average.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 01:03PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 10:15 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> :) Don't get me started on Doc Watson.
 
> Country music's very boring and repetitive to me. No rhythm, no
> originality, no nothing.
 
What country music are you listening to?? Most all country music tells
a story, and has more meaning than whatever pop garbage they play on the
radio. Now, some new "country" is the exception. It's starting to fade
into pop music with a twang.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 01:06PM -0400

>> Mitch? That was 1961.
 
> I don't remember "Your Hit Parade" but I do remember Mitch Miller and
> his show came on Friday night, and we watched it faithfully.
 
Whenever I hear the name "Mitch Miller", I'm tempted to start belting
out "My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean". Be glad that you aren't around, hahaha
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 01:07PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 9:43 PM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
 
> I remember the song and Roger well. I was transitioning to country music
> at about the time that that song came out. I always liked
 
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4AgUo33zvk>
 
Tom T Hall! Grandpap used to sing "Old dogs, children, and watermelon
wine" all the time.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Aug 01 01:04PM -0400

On 2023-08-01 12:01 p.m., cshenk wrote:
>> do.
 
> To me that's cold but I live at the snow line and most years we get no
> snow.
 
Sure. It's cold enough to wear a winter scarf. Around here there is not
need for those extreme temperature parkas.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:29PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 1:38 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> People just don't want them enough to bother.
 
> I think you can probate a simple estate in Michigan just by filling
> out some forms. I'll find out within a few years.
 
Last time I asked someone, they told me that it would cost them a few
thousand dollars to go through probate court, and since their father had
nothing of value, they didn't want to bother. That other house was
lived-in but in terrible shape, with the roof leaking. She took any
belongings of worth, and told me that I can have the house if I figure
it out. Well, it will cave in by the time it goes to tax sale. I might
go back and nab the almost new high efficiency gas furnace.
GM <gregorymorrowchicago07@gmail.com>: Aug 01 10:00AM -0700

Michael Trew wrote:
 
> belongings of worth, and told me that I can have the house if I figure
> it out. Well, it will cave in by the time it goes to tax sale. I might
> go back and nab the almost new high efficiency gas furnace.
 
 
Nab that gas furnace whilst you can, Michael, as the libtards want to ban natural gas...
 
This was just in my local nooze... my comment on the article is below the article:
 
City's electrification working group plans to survey residents in August
 
by Matt Simonette July 31st, 2023
 
https://evanstonroundtable.com/2023/07/31/citys-electrification-working-group-plans-to-survey-residents-in-august/
 
"The city's Building Electrification Working Group plans to survey Evanston IL residents in August about their familiarity with and concerns about prohibitions against natural gas connections in new construction. The committee, previously the _____Natural Gas Phase Out Working Group____, met for the second time July 31.
 
The committee's goal is to eventually draft legislation codifying those prohibitions. But first, they'll be issuing the surveys in August, then holding both a larger town hall and targeted stakeholder meetings in September.
 
In June, Oak Park became the first Illinois municipality to pass an electrification ordinance, and Evanston city officials want to check in with residents and other stakeholders about their familiarity with electrification efforts before launching a similar proposal.
 
Member Joel Freeman admitted "there's a lot of fear out there" about electrification efforts, thanks to heated political rhetoric surrounding stoves and other gas appliances being under increased scrutiny.
 
But the electrification working group's principal concern is legislation targeting new construction and, ultimately, properties undergoing renovations..."
 
 
Gregory Morrow says:
 
August 1st, 2023 at 6:22 AM [Your comment is awaiting moderation]
 
"Electricity grows on trees, doesn't it? I guess that's why our electric rates are continually diminishing…
 
I expect next that our city leaders will be telling us that "electricity will be too cheap too meter" if this plan is enacted…
 
Electric heat is *far* less efficient than gas heat. Then add in the losses involved in burning the natural gas, coal, or nuclear generation (fortunately, Illinois gets about 50% of it's power via nuclear) to create the electricity and you'll find that the net effect will be more consumption of these resources than the current state. None of that matters though, when you are "righteous on carbon"…
 
Cooking on an an electric stove? If this is enacted, it will be still *another* reason for potential restaurateurs to bypass Evanston for "friendlier climes"… and not just restaurateurs, but other developers…
 
For lower – income folks with electric heating/appliances, will Evanston be assisting them in paying their much higher electricity bills? How does struggling with higher energy bills fit in with all the "equity" talk that we continually hear from Evanston city government?
 
From The US Department of Energy:
 
https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/electric-resistance-heating
 
"Electric resistance heating is 100% energy efficient in the sense that all the incoming electric energy is converted to heat. However, most electricity is produced from coal, gas, or oil generators that convert only about 30% of the fuel's energy into electricity. Because of electricity generation and transmission losses, electric heat is often more expensive than heat produced in homes or businesses that use combustion appliances…"
 
Respectfully,
Gregory Morrow..."
JNugent <jnugent@mail.com>: Aug 01 05:57PM +0100

On 01/08/2023 11:25 am, jon wrote:
>> as a protest against the Tory's policy of austerity (required to counter
>> the ongoing effects of the 2008 crash in the economy).
 
> But not anticipating the Russia Ukraine conflict...
 
...or the Covid-19 pandemic and crisis.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:43PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 1:40 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> milk first, as opposed to just using sweet milk.
 
> Ask (or don't) and ye shall receive:
 
> https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-substitute-buttermilk
 
Thanks, that was helpful. Admittedly, I don't think that I've ever
bought buttermilk. I'll have to try that for biscuits some time. I'm
not much into drop biscuits, so I think I could avoid the issue that the
article writer had with powdered buttermilk, so I might stock that in
the future.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:45PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 5:41 PM, Bruce wrote:
 
> I'm not familiar with English breakfast, but I'm assuming you mean
> sausages and beans among other things. I doubt that many English
> people eat that all the time.
 
That's an English full breakfast. Unless I'm having a late breakfast
(combined into lunch/brunch), typically I only eat a piece or two of
toast and coffee. Sometimes a small bowl of cottage cheese with it if
I'm hungrier. A "full breakfast" is way too heavy for the morning meal.
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Aug 01 04:52PM

> not much into drop biscuits, so I think I could avoid the issue that the
> article writer had with powdered buttermilk, so I might stock that in
> the future.
 
I have a pint of buttermilk in the fridge, waiting for me to turn it
into ranch dressing. Or creamy garlic. Or a half pint of each.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:51PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 1:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
 
> So your poor kid is denied butter, cheese, and ice cream, too?
> Yep, she's gonna hate you when she gets older.
 
> -sw
 
Are you really that dense? My point completely flew over your head,
which is the push of the dairy industry that children "need" multiple
glasses of cow's milk per day. How absurd!
 
I cook with butter, and I've mentioned that plenty of times before. We
keep some milk on hand for cooking. Cheese is rare, and ice cream is a
treat. Everything, in moderation. A tall glass of "ice cold" milk is
not moderation.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:30PM

Bruce wrote:
 
> interested in. If the masses don't need yeast, they won't sell it.
> That's why we always have to go to a regular supermarket as well, once
> a month or so.
 
Chuckle, if so, the Aldi's here must think 50% of us want GF fast boxed
foods that fix in 5 minutes. Fortunately, they are wrong but they
'found a nitche market' for the 'yuppie' crowd and are doing ok.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:37PM

Bruce wrote:
 
> > bake a loaf of bread? Only self rising white flour, no yeast.
 
> We just came back from ALDI. They had brown sugar and non-self raising
> (white) flour, but no yeast.
 
Locations vary. Stocks vary also so could be they have both 'at times'
here but I don't go to places that 'sometimes have basics' when that's
exactly what I need.
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:39PM

Bruce wrote:
 
 
> > Suspect you have a difffernt selection. Here, it great for 'gluten
> > free'.
 
> Yes, I saw gluten free breads too.
 
Here, just about anything you can think of that might have gluten, at
Aldi's has a GF option (or only option!).
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:42PM

Bruce wrote:
 
> > some odd canned items of interest.
 
> We do 3 x ALDI, 1 x regular supermarket. That way we get the best of
> both worlds.
 
You eat GF?
"cshenk" <cshenk@virginia-beach.net>: Aug 01 04:49PM

Bruce wrote:
 
> > something else opens. I see 2 empty right now. Smaller ones. 2
> > new places opening (assume in those 2 locations).
 
> Can you update Gary a bit on the type of women you see there?
 
LOL. Well, now that I think about it, mostly trim folks. Walmart
swings the other way.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:35PM -0400

>> post sliced pictures tomorrow or so.
 
>> =sw
 
> Yes, I'd like to see a picture of it sliced.
 
Looks like salmonella poisoning to me.
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Aug 01 12:31PM -0400

On 7/31/2023 4:27 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> for those rare occasions when you want cool things down a bit. No need
> to use it when you don't need it.
 
> Jill
 
True, it does work, and it's sitting on the living room floor below the
window. I did use it that year. Took it out in the winter, and didn't
put it back in. Currently, it's in use as an end table, LOL. Had we a
summer like Arizona (110 degrees), it would be in the window now.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment