Monday, September 25, 2023

Digest for rec.food.cooking@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Sep 25 08:43AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 1:16 AM, Bruce wrote:
> every now and then, I see people with adult taste buds say they like
> it. My last whiskey+coke or rum+chocolate milk dates back to when I
> was 15, hated beer and was trying to like any other alcoholic drink.
 
Why force yourself to like something? I tried alcohol a couple of
times, and it was awful, so that was that.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Sep 25 08:55AM -0400

On 2023-09-25 1:04 a.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
 
>> When I did layouts for printing, I used metric measurements because dividing an 8.5" page into 3 columns was too scary to contemplate. On the driving test, you're supposed to use your turn signal 100 feet before switching lanes or turning. My guess is that most people have no idea how far 100 feet is. You might think that I would but I don't.
 
> A hundred feet is about two telephone poles, more or less. Close enough
> for a driving test. ;)
 
The whole pole or the part sticking out of the ground?
Bryan Simmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com>: Sep 25 06:01AM -0700

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 7:44:01 AM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
> > was 15, hated beer and was trying to like any other alcoholic drink.
> Why force yourself to like something? I tried alcohol a couple of
> times, and it was awful, so that was that.
 
Most folks enjoy the effects of alcohol on the CNS, but
don't like the taste, at least early on. When I was 14, 15
years old, I used to drink straight whiskey. It tasted
awful, and didn't feel good going down, but it was so
worth it for the high. You are pretty much a caricature
of what in the 60s they called a "square," so of course
you don't drink.
 
My wife doesn't drink either, maybe a half a glass of
wine once every 2, 3, 4 years. She did drink when we
first got together, but it started giving her migraines,
and now she doesn't even like the way it makes her
feel. Of course, for years I drank enough for the both
of us.
 
Now that I drink infrequently, it makes me feel kind
of bad the morning after, which it didn't used to do.
 
--Bryan
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx>: Sep 25 09:38AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 1:16 AM, Bruce wrote:
> every now and then, I see people with adult taste buds say they like
> it. My last whiskey+coke or rum+chocolate milk dates back to when I
> was 15, hated beer and was trying to like any other alcoholic drink.
 
Assuming the same amount of alcohol consumption, a G & T is more dilute,
usually cooler, more refreshing, especially on a warm day. 2 oz. of gin
to 4 oz. of tonic is common. With whiskey, usually just a splash of
water.
 
I have beer in the house and it does go well with some meals, maybe once
a month I'll pop one open. Probably 5 nights a week I have wine with
dinner.
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx>: Sep 25 09:42AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 3:32 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> all the other approximations. We ain't talking science here, just a
>> visual idea of a size that one's mind can grasp without doing math.
 
> It makes a big difference when estimating paint coverage.
 
Perhaps, but if Leo give the price estimate for your new flooring you
get a good deal.
Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca>: Sep 25 07:43AM -0600

On 2023-09-24 11:29 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Sep 25 08:55AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 6:09 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> raw meat. I can't fathom it, but to me it's no different from jello,
> cheese, or tofu. In fact, I'd rather touch raw chicken than Velveeta.
> That shit's just creepy.
 
Certainly no Velveeta in my kitchen. I'm not a germaphobe, but it could
be a bacteria thing. Red meat is not nearly as slimy, and I don't have
as much of an issue with that. Really though, I don't cook much red
meat unless it's a roast, or going into soup/stew. I do wash a whole
bird inside and out in the sink, but I'm careful that there aren't
dishes or anything to be contaminated around.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Sep 25 08:59AM -0400

On 2023-09-25 6:09 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
 
> raw meat. I can't fathom it, but to me it's no different from jello,
> cheese, or tofu. In fact, I'd rather touch raw chicken than Velveeta.
> That shit's just creepy.
 
My sister in law would not touch raw meat. Forget about making hamburgr
patties. She was disgusted to hear how my wife and I separate egg whites
by cracking eggs into our hand and letting the whites slip through our
fingers.
 
 
> When I roast a whole bird, I clean out the inside to make sure
> the kidneys and other entrails are gone. They make the meat taste
> muddy. Once I found a lung left in a turkey.
 
I can see how that would have a yuck factor.
 
 
Bryan Simmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com>: Sep 25 06:15AM -0700

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 8:00:00 AM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> patties. She was disgusted to hear how my wife and I separate egg whites
> by cracking eggs into our hand and letting the whites slip through our
> fingers.
 
Greg recently responded to an old Sheldon post from 2015.
 
"Most plain janes make up for their ordinary looks by being
extraordinary in the sack, the beauties not so much... that's always
been my experience and other's I've known have agreed... can never
tell a book by its cover. Amazing how many hot looking women talk big
but in the bedroom can't deliver... same as how many talk how great
they cook but are ascared to touch raw chicken. Every women I've ever
known, and I've known plenty, when I watched them cook and they
wouldn't touch food with their bare hands I knew right away to say
adios. It's much the same with men, those who aren't adventuresome
eaters are not going to be adventuresome in the sack. I would advise
every women going on a first date when asked where they'd like to eat
tell the guy Mike's Clam Bar... any guy who, no matter how fat his
wallet, won't slurp raw cherrystones ditch him rightaway, I can
guarantee you it ain't gonna work. Same advice for yoose guys,any gal
doesn't enjoy soft cooked eggs and rare steak say goodbye."
 
Around here, I'm the one for the soft yolks and rare steak,
and my wife will eat raw clams and oysters.
 
--Bryan
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Sep 25 01:39PM

>> cheese, or tofu. In fact, I'd rather touch raw chicken than Velveeta.
>> That shit's just creepy.
 
> Certainly no Velveeta in my kitchen.
 
We might have a little. My husband used to like it. I think I used
it up at Christmas on the breakfast casserole.
 
> I'm not a germaphobe, but it could be a bacteria thing.
 
Wash your hands. It really, really works.
 
> Red meat is not nearly as slimy, and I don't have
> as much of an issue with that. Really though, I don't cook much red
> meat unless it's a roast, or going into soup/stew.
 
Burgers for lunch today. Ground chuck, hand-patted by me.
 
> I do wash a whole
> bird inside and out in the sink, but I'm careful that there aren't
> dishes or anything to be contaminated around.
 
Do you fish around in the cavity to make sure everything's as it
should be, or do you just trust the poultry processor?
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Sep 25 01:41PM

>> That shit's just creepy.
 
> My sister in law would not touch raw meat. Forget about making hamburgr
> patties.
 
Some people are just prissy.
 
> She was disgusted to hear how my wife and I separate egg whites
> by cracking eggs into our hand and letting the whites slip through our
> fingers.
 
I use the two-shell method, on the rare occasions when I separate eggs.
Probably the last time was for hollandaise.
 
>> the kidneys and other entrails are gone. They make the meat taste
>> muddy. Once I found a lung left in a turkey.
 
> I can see how that would have a yuck factor.
 
I was glad I found it and yanked it out. It took me a few seconds to
realize what I was looking at.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Sep 25 08:47AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 6:10 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> junk out of your chimney every year, folks.
 
> I don't have a chimney. Just PVC pipes.
 
> Ok, the house has a chimney, but it's no longer used.
 
I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference in your case, then, if
you don't even have a water heater venting into it. Either way, opening
the little metal door at the base of the chimney to clean out leaves and
debris is an annual chore that no one thinks about until years go by,
and it fills the furnace flue pipe (if you have one), causing exhaust
gasses to fill your house.
Bryan Simmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com>: Sep 25 06:27AM -0700

On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10:23:56 PM UTC-5, Michael Trew wrote:
 
> For some reason, tree roots get into the terra-cotta sewer line, and I
> have to call someone to snake it out every couple of years. It's really
> a drag. I'm afraid it's going to eventually collapse.
 
Right after the plumber leaves, put some of this down
the drain, and leave it sit for 12 hours.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Green-Gobbler-10-lbs-Foaming-Root-Killer-G6062/312698594
Do it every once in a while when you will be away, like
when you go to a Geo meetup, give it a double dose
right before you leave.
 
--Bryan
Cindy Hamilton <hamilton@invalid.com>: Sep 25 01:35PM

> debris is an annual chore that no one thinks about until years go by,
> and it fills the furnace flue pipe (if you have one), causing exhaust
> gasses to fill your house.
 
Don't you have a chimney cap? I consider them indispensable.
 
--
Cindy Hamilton
Janet <nobody@home.com>: Sep 25 02:11PM +0100

In article <uepi07$1b84u$3@dont-email.me>,
j_mcquown@comcast.net says...
 
> >> My wife is a goddess, but I was using "old ladies" as much
> >> as anything else to contrast with John's preferred 3rd and
> >> 4th grade girls. My wife is 58, and a nicely preserved 58.
 
Bryan's boastpoast of his wife shows a pale
colourless face, limp mousy hair very badly cut, hesitant
body language. Frankly, she looks worn down and cowed.
 
> "Nicely preserved". What a compliment!
 
! Talk about shooting himself in the foot.
 
> >> Joan *does* have the whole old lady thing goin' on.
> >> https://postimg.cc/xXqf3V8f
 
Joan looks vibrant, alert, well groomed, self-confident.
 
Unlike Bryan's poor wife.
 
Janet UK
Bryan Simmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com>: Sep 25 06:18AM -0700

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 8:12:03 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:
> > >> Joan *does* have the whole old lady thing goin' on.
> > >> https://postimg.cc/xXqf3V8f
> Joan looks vibrant, alert, well groomed, self-confident.
 
She looks like a stereotypical old lady, the kind that goes
to the beauty parlor, and wears support hose.
 
> Unlike Bryan's poor wife.
 
You don't get any anyway, you unpleasant hag.
 
--Bryan
Ed P <esp@snet.xxx>: Sep 25 09:23AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 9:11 AM, Janet wrote:
 
> Bryan's boastpoast of his wife shows a pale
> colourless face, limp mousy hair very badly cut, hesitant
> body language. Frankly, she looks worn down and cowed.
 
She looks her age, as you would expect. Not sure what he was trying to
prove.
 
> Joan looks vibrant, alert, well groomed, self-confident.
 
> Unlike Bryan's poor wife.
 
> Janet UK
 
Yes, she does. As a teenager I would think anyone her age looks like an
old lady. Given Bryan's advanced age, she looks similar to his stage of
life.
GM <gregorymorrow@msn.com>: Sep 25 05:30AM -0700

Janet UK IGNORANTLY wrote:
 
> > shakers. I recall some day that someone was offended by this... A
> > white woman, no less. "Sweetheart, do you know who usually buys these?
> Male chauvinist patronage /belittlement of female noted
 
 
The "white woman" was Janet UK, no doubt, lol...!!!
 
 
 
> D'you know why black people buy those remnants of
> racism?
 
> To destroy it, eliminate it.
 
 
Nonsense, the blacks I know the buy the stuff as they would any other "collectible"...
 
--
GM
Bryan Simmons <bryangsimmons@gmail.com>: Sep 25 05:48AM -0700

On Monday, September 25, 2023 at 7:30:09 AM UTC-5, GM wrote:
> > racism?
 
> > To destroy it, eliminate it.
> Nonsense, the blacks I know the buy the stuff as they would any other "collectible"...
 
Can you imagine *our Michael* calling a customer,
"Sweetheart"?? Nearly every morning I wake my wife
up with a nice, hot latte, and either, "Coffee, sweetheart,"
or, "Coffee, Betsy." She can sleep through an alarm, but
even whispered, the word, "coffee," almost always
wakes her up.
 
--Bryan
Michael Trew <michael.trew@att.net>: Sep 25 09:08AM -0400

On 9/25/2023 8:30 AM, GM wrote:
>>> shakers. I recall some day that someone was offended by this... A
>>> white woman, no less. "Sweetheart, do you know who usually buys these?
>> Male chauvinist patronage /belittlement of female noted
 
Who let you out of the kitchen?? ;)
 
> The "white woman" was Janet UK, no doubt, lol...!!!
 
I'd imagine someone a lot like her, but less belligerent once struck
with facts. Then again, perhaps "Gary UK" is a pushover in person.
 
>> racism?
 
>> To destroy it, eliminate it.
 
> Nonsense, the blacks I know the buy the stuff as they would any other "collectible"...
 
Precisely. Tell me why they'll spend 15+ minutes studying different
objects in the case before selecting a couple of them to buy? It's
called "Collecting".
Janet <nobody@home.com>: Sep 25 01:21PM +0100

In article <eed51aa8-7467-4fbf-aed0-
d9899809916dn@googlegroups.com>, dsi123@hawaiiantel.net
says...
> > Though you'd like this. Keep it quiet so Bruce does not get jealous.
 
> > https://i.postimg.cc/RZGGCXqh/TowelW.jpg
 
> I saw those in the UK. It's a pretty good idea -
 
In the UK, they are usually plumbed in to the heating
system. Mine are.
 
Hot water circulates through the "towel warmer" drying
the towels, warming the towels and the bathroom.
 
Janet UK
Janet <nobody@home.com>: Sep 25 01:23PM +0100

In article <knbki0Fp96gU1@mid.individual.net>,
firstname@lastname.oc.ku says...
 
> The radiator in my shower room also serves as a towel warmer.
 
> This is similar to mine -
> <https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-curved-towel-radiator-1100mm-x-600mm-chrome-1303btu/7809v>
 
snap
 
Janet UK
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Sep 25 08:56AM -0400

On 2023-09-25 5:59 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
 
> We keep the heat register in the bathroom closed; enough heat circulates
> in from the rest of the house to keep the room warm. Same with the
> kitchen.
 
Our downstairs two piece bathroom does not have a heat register. It can
get chilly in there.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Sep 25 08:53AM -0400

On 2023-09-25 5:03 a.m., S Viemeister wrote:
>> as I used to be.
 
> Apple fritters, dusted with powdered sugar.
> Eaten while still hot - they don't keep well.
 
 
I used to make them once a year but then we got rid of the deep fryer.
They were great. I needed apples that would retain their texture to
some degree, otherwise the apple slices would turn to mush.
 
We used to get apple fritters made by a group of church ladies for a
local Pioneer Day. They were in big demand and we always had to wait in
line but it was worth it. Years later we went to a similar event in a
different town. We waited in line for 45 minutes and were eagerly
anticipating our fresh hot apple fritters. It turned out they were
completely different from the batter dipped slices we used to get. There
were balls of dough with little chunks of apple. They had the texture
of a rubber ball. Major disappointment.
Dave Smith <adavid.smith@sympatico.ca>: Sep 25 08:45AM -0400

On 2023-09-24 11:47 p.m., Ed P wrote:
>> admit that at that age there was no thought of actual sex.
 
> When I was in 3rd grade my teacher was a very old lady.  She must have
> been at least 40.
 
Yeah, when you are 8 years old 40 is pretty close to ancient. Now that I
am 72 I think of 40 as a youngster.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.food.cooking+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment